View Single Post
Old 07-05-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
honeypig

I just know how I am when someone is trying to make me do something and I certainly don't want to ambush him. Maybe I will go with him that way I can make sure he stays for the meeting.
Alwayscovering, sorry to be blunt, but that is NOT a good idea. If he chooses recovery, it will be b/c HE chooses recovery, not b/c you drove him to a meeting and made him stay there. Recovery is for those who want it and work for it; it cannot be crammed down someone's throat who is unwilling. You will find much more benefit in working your OWN recovery than trying to fix him, believing that that will fix all the problems (said by one who has been down that same path, had those same thoughts, and learned the hard way about those things).

I see you've posted to some other threads. I'd strongly encourage you to read as much as possible here. Make sure not to miss the stickies at the top of the page. This is one of the threads from there, and you might find it to be a good starting place: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-problem.html

You also might find doing some reading about codependency and detachment to be helpful. I'm glad to hear you're going to try Alanon. For me, Alanon and SR made a powerful combination to help me learn and change. I hope you find the same to be true.