View Single Post
Old 07-02-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Ariesagain

Advice is given here from a personal perspective. Sometimes it resonates with new posters, sometimes it doesn't. While I do think our addiction likes to make us think "Oh, I have to drink because my situation is so unique and bad," I also believe that there is no one size fits all when it comes to addiction. We are all unique individuals and what works for one won't work for another.

My point is that you can accept or reject online advice, it's up to you. Online forums like this can be a lifesaver when you lack real life support, but it doesn't mean they're perfect.

I would like to gently suggest, though, that when we're still actively drinking we're very easy to offend and our addiction likes it that way just fine. If we get angry at one post or poster, we can then dismiss everything we've been told and get back to our drinking, because we tried and look how that turned out!

The past is gone forever. None of us can change what we did or didn't do and revisiting it and labeling our behavior doesn't change anything, either.

The only thing we all have is today and today I will not drink.

You?