View Single Post
Old 07-01-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR Mirabella and congratulations on your 2 weeks sober! You've made a great decision that you won't regret!

The way you feel and struggles is VERY common, almost everyone goes through what you are going through right now. It does seem like alcohol is "everywhere", but as you are already finding there's plenty of activities that don't involve alcohol, as a matter of fact more of them that don't than those that do. As addicts though, we tend to schedule our day around activities that allow us to feed our addiction...so it takes some time and getting used to when we make those changes.

One of the hardest parts is that many of our "friends" were really just drinking buddies when you look back over time. Once you take alcohol out of the equation, there is literally nothing left - alcohol was the sole purpose of getting together. So unfortunately, we must sometimes simply end those relationships and find others people to hang around with, just as we need to find other activities.

Long term it's certainly possible to keep attending events where drinking is happening, but I still don't attend events were drinking is the PRIMARY function. For example, I don't go to bachelor parties or hang out in bars anymore, because there is simply no reason for me to be there when the only activity planned is drinking alcohol.