View Single Post
Old 02-20-2003, 08:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rose56

Great Post.

I am just begining to see change in myself after a year in the program. I recently decided to examine and change my behavior toward my husband. I think I have finally become "unstuck". I think I have been stuck in the same behaviors and what is worse the same thinking for such a long time. By coming to this message board and attending meetings I have felt a gentle shift in my thinking.

I use to think that people have to earn respect, kindness, and even common curtesy. I now think that perhaps treating everyone with these attitudes says more about who I am instead of who the other person is. I think we all struggle to some extent with our own deamons, maybe other people don't have to prove to me that they are worthy. Maybe I don't have to prove that I am worthy either? Maybe I am acceptable just the way I am?

I choose to be happy, whatever the circumstances. Because God is with me and has given me so much to enjoy and have fun with.

I choose to have fun, to laugh loud, to focus less attention on my unhappy times and more attention on my happy times.

I choose to enrich my work life and skills. Was it the Desiderata that said to cherish your occupation, however modest? I choose to believe in my career and my possibilities.

I choose to say no more often. I might ruffle some feathers, but I need to make choices that make me happy and not waste my time with obligations that drain me.

I do choose to change, and it is a scary business. But not changing is terrifying - I don't want to go further down the path I was on. I am taking a new turn and feel confident about the road ahead.

(Wow is this really my post? I hardly recognize my own thoughts!)