View Single Post
Old 06-30-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
teatreeoil007

You can do this!

Free Owl's post reminds me of something I would write, thx to Free Owl.

There are things in life that seem like a "have to"....so, because you HAVE to, you do it (you become willing, perhaps)...and it CAN (in some cases) turn into a 'WANT TO'.

Here's something I've learned in life: There are many things we are asked to do. And, there are many things we are expected to do. One example I can think of is going to work. Let's call a spade a spade...Most of us have had days when we didn't want to go to work. But, the bills need to get paid and we need to have food/clothing/shelter. I've been determined to turn my 'have tos' into a 'want to' and MOST of the time the OUTCOME is POSITIVE.

Another expectation I can think of is being asked to provide music at the annual family reunion. To be totally honest I don't always FEEL like doing that! I'd rather have a little more time to have good visits with my relatives who I don't get to see much. I'd rather have a little more time savoring those visits and savoring all the good food that is brought. BUT, it ain't too long after the eating starts that they are wanting us get out our instruments and start pickin and singin. And so it goes....and has gone for many a decade. If you can pick and sing, you are EXPECTED to play. Even though I don't always feel like it at first, once I get into it, I enjoy it and I'm glad that others enjoy it too! Am I doing that to PLEASE people? No, I'm doing it because it is expected as a time honored tradition, but a very GOOD tradition as the music is considered beneficial and precious; something we don't want to die out. I'm also doing it because the music is in my blood.

Sometimes there is pressure to perform. I just tell myself: "It's just me and my guitar and we'd be doing this anyway, with or without an audience."