View Single Post
Old 06-29-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
GAHaley

Originally Posted by SoberFreckles View Post
And I suppose like most alcoholics, I have been lying to myself a lot, although I am striving to be more honest, so I will say that I hate meeting groups of new people sober, still really struggle with that, and this also really puts me off AA meetings!
I can relate. I am extremely introverted by nature, and my alcoholism fed on that to make me become even more isolated. I put off going to AA for a very long time for the same reason. It wasn't until I got to the point that I was willing to do ANYTHING that I found the strength to walk through those doors. And it wasn't as bad as I thought. In my experience, I have never had a lot of people "flock" to me when I was new to a group. Some politely say hi & introduce themselves and some don't. All meetings are different. I would recommend a Beginner meeting for your first one. Feel free to just listen and pass if you don't want to say anything. You can participate as much as you want or not at all. Like I said, it is not my primary sobriety tool, but I do believe that one should be open to any and all options when it comes to their sobriety.