Thread: "Today's Hope"
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  
honeypig

June 29

This is posted from the "Today's Hope" site of Alanon.

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
I can only have peace of mind when I forgive rather than judge.
*- Gerald Jampolsky

DAILY REFLECTION:
Self Focus

We need to learn to live, to focus on something good or useful to our lives and let the rest of the world go about its business.

How Can I Help My Children?

Today, I flipped open a book and saw this quote. I think it was a Higher Power moment. I was feeling deeply resentful and angry about some expectations I had of a loved one. Being very stressed at work and outside work, I expected my loved one to pick up the slack at home so that I can spend more time on self-care, which I hadn’t really been doing at all lately! When I reached out to my loved one for help, my loved one simply said ‘no’ and continued to engage in what I judged a frivolous time-wasting behavior. I felt resentful of my loved one’s free time when I barely had time to take a shower in the morning.

After speaking to a friend in the program and my sponsor, I realized that I was expecting my loved one to do certain things that I felt he must do. But I had been prioritizing a multitude of other things over my self-care and the frustration I felt was because I haven’t been tending to my self-care. *As the quote says, I was, at this point, able to understand how to focus on the good or useful by realizing I need to focus on my own self-care. Once I realized this, I was able to let go of my resentments and focus on doing the next right thing for my serenity.

Daily share from the forum can be found here: Today's Sharing - Today's Hope