Old 06-25-2016, 06:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

For me, absolutely yes. To some extent or other, I've always lied to my spouse/family about the extent of my drinking. More often than not, they had no idea (at least I thought at the time) that I was drunk. Two Saturdays ago, I was so plowed under during a patio party we threw for some friends, that my condition was obvious to anyone who looked. My wife confronted me, and I lied to her face, repeatedly, that I was not drunk. She trusted me so much that she believed me, and immediately started looking up what other disease I might have that matched my "symptoms." I couldn't bear it. Here was someone who loved and trusted me so much, that even in the face of all of the evidence, she chose to believe me rather than come to the obvious conclusion. It's been two weeks since then, and a lot of healing has happened, but I still have a long way to go. I'm lucky, I suppose, that I didn't fall so far as to destroy the wonderful life I have. But still, I never ever want to go through this again. It is going to take forever to win back her trust, and to trust myself, but for the first time in ages I feel like I have my priorities straight.