Old 06-20-2016, 07:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marcus

I guess the question is does the person taking it consider themselves clean? Are they taking it as prescribed? Are they doing anything else for their recovery? I have been on both Suboxone and Methadone in the past (years ago) and my view has changed for myself since I came off it. I reset my sobriety date after getting off Opiate Replacement, but that was me. That is in no way saying these drugs cannot be a helpful tool in getting clean. The opposite is also true in many cases.

According to Narcotics Anonymous Bulletin #29 they would say NO (and not saying I agree with everything in there but there it is). The saying To Thine Own Self be true carries a lot of weight here (and not everyone uses NA of course). What about other drugs? How about someone taking a prescribed benzo for anxiety? That would be a slippery slope for an addict like myself, but maybe not for others.

Bulletin 29
https://www.na.org/?ID=bulletins-bull29

I am in no way trying to start an argument. In the end we all have to live with ourselves and try to do what we think is right for ourselves. It is the 21st century and medication has its place of course. I think extra care has to be taken for addicts like me. The important thing is being honest with yourself and your doctor. I never intended to stay on ORT forever and my goal was to be free of everything and let my body truly heal. Again just my opinion which carries the same weight as everyone else's.