View Single Post
Old 06-14-2016, 12:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
CaseyW
Re-Member

Stayed up too late watching that British documentary on alcoholism "Rain in My Heart" that I'd always heard talked about on these forums in the past. Truly devastating and heartbreaking look at four low-bottom alcoholics in England from 2006. If you're feeling trigger-y at all right now, I don't know if I'd recommend it as I could see some using that alcoholic logic of "Well, I'm not as bad as those folks" as a reason to continue drinking, but then again the stories are so horrific that maybe it'd make someone realize that's where they're headed if they don't stop now. It's available on YouTube if anyone wants to watch it. Not linking it here as there is some bad language and some rough scenes in it. Anyways, I personally really enjoyed it, though maybe it wasn't the best movie to start after midnight before wanting to go to bed. I may need to stay up a litte later and cleanse my mind with a silly sitcom or something.

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post

Casey...your in month 4? Wow!!! Are you still going to AA & working the steps? Just curious. :-)
Yesterday was 3 complete months sober for me--my sobriety date is March 13, 2016--so, yes, I'm at the very beginning of my fourth month now. I do still go to AA meetings, usually at least a couple a week, but I am not now and have not been working the steps. There are a number of things about the AA program I do not care for, but that being said, there are many things about it that I do love and have incorporated into my recovery plan this time--most especially steps 10 and 12 and traditions 3 and 5. They're some of the cornerstones of my recovery today. Basically I'm practicing the old cliche of "taking what I want and leaving the rest" when it comes to AA.

I like going to meetings for many reasons: It gets me out of my own head and house for a bit, and also it's good for me to see others in "real life" (not that everyone here isn't real) who are living sober successfully. It's good fellowship, and, even though I'm not working the 12 steps and am not planning on doing so, I like being in the habit of going to meetings regularly so that maybe I'll be more willing and able to go to a meeting and start on the steps if those thoughts of drinking do return.