View Single Post
Old 06-11-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
August252015

Aaron- glad you're here!

Two different thoughts - I echo the job idea. Do you need or have to work (I know you said living with parents, so not sure your financial sitch overall)? I spent the first 5 wks of my sobriety (2/22 til 4/6) just getting physically better, because I was so, so sick. Then I got a job at Chick Fil A (a Southern fast food mega business) and it is a sober, safe place to be with a LOT of positive people. It is simple, and as a God-focused business based on a heart of service, it helps keep my focus outward for my 9 hr shifts, and I think helps my overall mindset a lot (it really echoes my AA work). Anything like that, or even just a simple job that you can feel good about doing (without any of the other stuff)? So different than my past corporate star life, but it is where I need to be now.

Also- amends. For me, my parents are priority number one and that is a very big deal - and not a one-time-I'm-so-sorry kind of conversation. It is daily, and in many ways; re the comment about amends being about the recipient, not you, one thing I am trying to consciously do is think of them first before I say, do, or [insert here] anything. After that, it is a case by case basis; one simple (easy) type is to get in touch with people I "lost" - a few at a time- and try to start a conversation, get together, FB msg, whatever, and proceed from there.

Good luck to you.