Old 06-08-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
jaynie04

I am sober three years this month. I embraced the concept that sobriety was a decision, one of the most powerful gestures I will ever make in my life. I don't bemoan the fact that I "can't drink", rather I embrace the thought process that I don't drink.

I have been honest with people when it was appropriate about the fact that I am a nondrinker. I have found nothing but admiration and respect for choosing this path, and I hope that discussing my decision frankly helps to diminish the stigma that still dominates many grappling with addiction. I have also had the pleasure of helping a few people who came to me directly during their struggle. I feel strongly that too many people suffer silently because of shame.

Getting sober did not solve all of my problems, but it put me in a much healthier position to make prudent life choices.

I believe that just like addiction was progressive, so too was my sobriety. I have found SR to be of the utmost help as it represented a very broad swath of approaches to getting sober, and I gradually learned to listen to what would best align with who I am.