Old 06-08-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Cherrybreeze

Originally Posted by Centered3 View Post
My sponsor used to tell me that some folks are "struck sober". It sounds like this was this man's experience.

I once heard a recovered alcoholic share in a meeting that he used to beg God for help to not drink all the time, but he'd still drink. Then he realized that he had to do the recovery work, and then God would help him. The big book calls this "Faith without works is dead." We cannot just ask God to do stuff for us. We have to do our part in the deal. (Please know my tone is meant to be kind and helpful here, not admonishing in any way.)

Good for you for attending AA meetings! :-) But meetings don't keep us sober. Meetings are to carry the message of the spiritual principles that got us and keep us sober. May I ask where you are with the step work? Do you have a sponsor? Do you have a spiritual relationship with God? Have you done a thorough written inventory and amends? That's what I did to get and stay sober.

God helps those who ask, but we have to do the work for Him to restore the sanity of our alcoholic minds. That's just the way sobriety works. Otherwise, it's just abstinence, which doesn't keep most people sober for the long term.

God loves you. And he wants you to be well, happy, joyous, and free. I'm sure He's very happy that you are seeking Him and asking Him to help you. But, you have to do His will, and that means work a recovery program so that He can remove the problem of alcoholism.

I hope this helps. Please don't be hurt by or angry with God. He does not sit up there in the heavens saying "I think I'll let so and so be sober, but not let so and so be sober." It's not like that. He doesn't punish us. True there are many things we can never understand why they're part of God's plan, by my sponsor told me that humans cannot understand God's plan. She also told me that some things are human's doing his/her free will vs. following God's will.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about what I wrote, ok?
Centered, I love this. You were able to type out what I was thinking, and much more eloquently than I would have been able to. The difference between abstinence and sobriety I never really thought about, but is exactly, exactly right. I am going to tell my own self that as I continue this journey.

NickiJay, there are good words/posts here, I hope you can take them and apply them to how you feel. I know how helpless you feel, and wanting to not feel that way anymore. It won't just happen, though, unfortunately (wouldn't we all be lucky if it did?). Through some work and effort on your part, to NOT pick up that drink, to reach out to others to help prop you up, by being honest with yourself and others and starting to treat your mind and body in a more positive way, I believe that if you do have faith in God He will help you along the path. YOU have to be the one to start down it, though. Show him your willingness. The obsession to drink and the act of drinking are not the same thing...work on the act, and the obsession will follow.

Hang in there, hon.