Old 06-08-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
LadyBlue0527
Mini Novel Post Writer

I learned something in counseling that was quite interesting. How we perceive things often has a lot to do with how we are rather than how others are. I remember discussing a person that I disliked and my counselor handed me a notepad. She asked me to list every quality of that person that I found annoying that led me to say I disliked them. I completed the list and she asked "So you're done?" and I said yes. She said "Now, I want you to put your name at the top of the list".

It was very uncomfortable because I had to look at all of those things and realize that what I disliked about that person was almost the same exact things that I disliked about myself.

With the above being said:

it seems to be a lot more about crying "look at me i feel bad"
The reason I'm pointing this out is that when I first attended AA years back I can admit that's exactly how I felt about it. A bunch of people who seemed to want to sit and whine about not being able to drink. I now realize that's because that's how I, myself, felt at the time.

I support anyone's choice to use whatever program they wish to choose to get sober. I still have to speak up when I see this statement because what you see is your own perception. Your own interpretation and not necessarily the truth. It says a lot about the person making the observation and not the program itself.