Old 06-07-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NickiJay

Walked out of an AA meeting Sad and Confused

I left my AA meeting a bit early today because I heard a share and became angry with God. The man sharing said that he drank to excess frequently and hurt his family many times because of it. He said that one day he was so distressed by something he had done, he decided to get on his knees and pray to God that the obsession for alcohol would be removed. The man has been sober ever since, and it has been a few decades since he said that prayer.

I am happy that God helped this man. I truly am. Here’s my problem: I have begged God for help, just the way this man did. I have prayed to God earnestly and tearfully for him to remove my obsession. Unfortunately, even though I attend AA on a regular basis (and have been for a while), I relapsed after some months and have not yet been able to recover my footing. I’m still attending meetings and won’t stop, but today I became frustrated. Why does God decide to help some of us instantly and not others? Why are my prayers, said with the utmost sincerity, either ignored or discarded? I don’t mean to complain—I’m hopeful that I can achieve sustained sobriety, it’s just that I’m a bit hurt. Thanks for reading this, and I wish you all the best.