View Single Post
Old 06-07-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Expanding

Did you ever doubt your perceptions?

Hi everyone,

I typically post on another board but think I need to start checking in here too. I got out of a relationship about three months ago and I'm having a difficult day today.

My ex's drinking was almost a constant source of stress for me but many seem to be rallying around him, saying that it's not that bad. I've lightened up how much I drink a lot lately so that I could clear my head and try to get a better handle and view on things. I still believe that I am surrounded by problem drinkers but I'm always wondering if I blew things out of proportion.

I read stories here from people who seem healthy and clear headed who are struggling with their ACOA partners and it breaks my heart. I can see myself in their stories and it makes me wonder if my perceptions are correct. I have also been learning a lot about codependency and alcoholic selfishness/narcissism and recognize that's a possibility as well.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if as an ACOA I overreacted to his drinking... there are parts of me that don't believe I did for various reasons including he drank until he passed out, slurred his words, and wouldn't come home all night. There's another part of me that knows I have my own set of issues and I'm scared I made things up just to push him away.

I hope I'm making sense and that someone can offer a word or two

Thanks