Thread: day 1
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post

Welcome back NMD. Glad to hear you are ready to give sobriety a serious shot. Regarding your statement above, your brain already knows you cannot moderate, you don't need to convince it of that. The problem is that our addiction talks louder than our logical brain sometimes. For me the real key was acceptance - accepting that there IS a part of my brain ( the addiction part ) that for whatever reason tries to override my logical thoughts. I also had to accept that I'll always have that part of my brain and there's no way to "undo" or "fix" it - but I can override it. Accepting that there is no possible way that I can ever pick up even one drink EVER is the start.

Just about every sobriety method starts with a similar line of thinking, have you given any serious thought to following a formal recovery method or plan?
I like avrt a lot, though I clearly need more of something to get a foot hold in sobriety. What I like and what I need aren't necessarily the same; I know i need to do things that make me uncomfortable. Reach out to people, also possibly counseling or meetings. I need some thing to anchor me and help me stay the course, part of the reason I posted on the main forum. Also not procrastinate in doing something so as to give my AV an opportunity to sneak back in. Right now, baby steps. Talk to my girlfriend and polish up on avrt. Look into a meeting or counseling.