Old 06-06-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
JennaRoseMadre

Originally Posted by MizFormaldehyde View Post
I really am on the fence about them and Nar-Anon
My only exposure to Nar-Anon was an opportunity to attend a meeting at the rehab where my son was a year ago. He was there 4 weeks, and each week you could visit on Sunday, but only if you participated in the family group session prior to seeing your family member. The other 3 family meetings were "ok" -- informative to me because I was so new and naive to substance abuse. But the last one I attended was actually a local Nar-Anon group who came in and ran a meeting. I was very depressed and sad by the end of it. The rehab's family meetings were empowering and talked about adjusting to life once our family member came home, healing ourselves, etc. But the Nar-Anon meeting was so negative. I have never pursued Nar-Anon because of that experience, which maybe isn't fair, because one bad experience may not be representative. I found talking to a therapist and reading info on line helped me more. That's how I found this site with these absolutely wonderful, supportive and informative people!!