View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Dazee

Hi HLK,
Welcome to SR. You will find a lot of support on here. There are also chat meetings on Tues/Fri at 8PM Central time

As far as telling others, I would encourage you to share with others who have gone through the same thing or with those rare people who have a level of empathy that can transcend their own experiences.

I say this because I shared with a friend I thought would understand. She was nice and said supportive things, yet later I stopped getting invites from her. I asked her about it later and she seemed shocked I thought it was because I told her I was alcoholic. I am not sure she did it deliberately but she did say she didn't want to look at her own drinking.
anyway, it really sucked as she was someone I had been friends with a long time.
At this stage it is important to be supported and understood, unfortunately not everyone can do this.
My family found out because they came to my house when I was drunk. I told them I got help (I did at the time) but we don't talk about it anymore. They seem like they don't want to know, alcoholism scares them.

Just some thoughts, keep coming back

Also I read Rational Recovery which is helpful in understanding the drinking mindset, you might find it beneficial.