View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Centered3

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
I went. But I talked to my sponsor beforehand and decided I would leave wheneverthehellIfeltlikeit. LOL.
That's a great idea. You need to do what's best for YOU, not what's best for everyone else.

I ended up having a great time. I danced, laughed, sang along with the band etc.
I'm so happy to hear that. :-) We can have fun sober.

I don't know why I let my head get the best of me at times.
That's the disease of alcoholism, the part that centers in the mind. I struggle with this, too. I still believe the lies my mind tells me.

Someone recently recommended I ask myself, "Is that a God thought? If the answer is no, it is not true. It's an ego thought."

My friends welcomed me with open arms and accept me for who I am....slightly too casual cape-cod summer dress and sandals and all. I'm coming to see that they love me for me.
That's great. :-) It sounds like you have spiritually-healthy friends, then.

If they had reacted differently, like made dirty looks or passive aggressive comments about your dress and sandals, then that says more about them, than it does you. It's the part in the big book that says "perhaps they are spiritually sick...." We pray for them, and ask God to remove the resentment.

It helps me to remind myself that exterior stuff is not real, it's all b.s. What counts is interior stuff. "Recovery is an inside job!"

We are all God's children, and He loves us all equally. No one is less than or better than in His eyes. He doesn't want us to feel less than or better than anyone else. That's ego.

We don't let other people's opinion of us effect our opinion of ourselves in the least. We remind ourselves that the only opinion that matters to us , is God's. And I really don't think God cares if you wear a casual dress and sandals to a wedding. :-) He just wants you to be happy.

And I just need to love myself for ME and stop trying to be someone I am not.
EXACTLY. :-) I find that a big part of my spiritual growth is letting myself be my authentic self. Someone commented recently at a meeting that I seem much more comfortable in my own skin. That's our goal. No more people-pleasing. Please God.

Had two people come up to me and ask me about help with their drinking....so God put me there for a reason.
Woah, this was huge! You had a higher purpose for being there, that's beautiful.

This weekend was a whirlwind. I made 2 amends on Sunday and woke up today with one year clean and sober. God is good. I couldn't do this alone and I am so thankful for all of you!
Congrats on the growth, courage, and humility in making two amends! And much congrats and love on your one year AA birthday!
Hugs!!