Old 05-29-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Easy2slip

Most people just don't understand alcoholics

My family had a get together this afternoon at my aunt's house. This was a whole day thing and is still going on and it's 8:30pm. But I brought my Ipad to stay connected to SR.

I am a little over a month sober and just about everyone in my family drinks. So I knew this was going to be a challenge.

By the way, I'm not drinking and not going to,,, never crossed my mind ( well maybe it crossed my mind). But I am in a good place presently.

Ok..here is the deal. I have been asked if I wanted a drink from at least 4 different people at different times during the day. Each time I replied "No thanks ...I'm taking a break from drinking". Figuring people would get the point and move on.

But .. No... Each time the conversation did not end. They'd want to know, Why can't you have a drink? "It's not like you're an alcoholic". They would go on and on how they can have a glass of wine with dinner and it lasts them all night. Or " you should be able to enjoy a drink during a party or holiday " without being a big deal. Why are you taking a break... What's wrong?

I guess I thought people would have respect to not question me.

My point is... Regular folks don't understand and I'm OK with it! I'm so happy I'm sober today.

All good!