Notices

Most people just don't understand alcoholics

Old 05-29-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Most people just don't understand alcoholics

My family had a get together this afternoon at my aunt's house. This was a whole day thing and is still going on and it's 8:30pm. But I brought my Ipad to stay connected to SR.

I am a little over a month sober and just about everyone in my family drinks. So I knew this was going to be a challenge.

By the way, I'm not drinking and not going to,,, never crossed my mind ( well maybe it crossed my mind). But I am in a good place presently.

Ok..here is the deal. I have been asked if I wanted a drink from at least 4 different people at different times during the day. Each time I replied "No thanks ...I'm taking a break from drinking". Figuring people would get the point and move on.

But .. No... Each time the conversation did not end. They'd want to know, Why can't you have a drink? "It's not like you're an alcoholic". They would go on and on how they can have a glass of wine with dinner and it lasts them all night. Or " you should be able to enjoy a drink during a party or holiday " without being a big deal. Why are you taking a break... What's wrong?

I guess I thought people would have respect to not question me.

My point is... Regular folks don't understand and I'm OK with it! I'm so happy I'm sober today.

All good!
Old 05-29-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job Easy2slip😊 people do sometimes try and put the pressure on, I know cuz I was one of those people,now that I'm on the non drinking end I get irritated at being harrassed its like enjoy my company regardless of what's in my glass,sheesh
Old 05-29-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

So glad you stuck to your guns.

It consistently blows my mind how drinkers are so puzzled by our non drinking.

No questions if you turn down water, a soda, or coffee but turn down anything alcohol related and you have to play twenty questions.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Way to go! I just told people "I don't drink" and it wasn't long before they stopped asking me to have a drink.

Congrats!!
Old 05-29-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job staying strong. Non alcoholics do not understand at all.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry that happened and normal drinkers don't understand. The pushing surprises me though. Most normies either don't notice and wouldn't think to push. Maybe next time, if you aren't comfortablle saying you quit, tell them you're on meds that mess with alcohol or something.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MrBrad

Glad to hear that you're happy.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds to me like you are doing great. Other people are a nuisance thought aren't they?

I am a pretty self-conscious person, but take a lot of strength from this phrase, which I first saw in a SR post or signature...

"What other people think of me is none of my business"

I went to a big party this weekend and stuck to lime and soda ( which looks pretty much like a large G&T or V&T to anyone who is interested ).

I drank about five or six in the first couple of hours and wondered if anyone was quietly observing and counting my intake. The bartender and I knew what was in my glass, and that is all that mattered to me.

To others, I have found that saying "I don't drink" is enough.

If pressed, I encourage my questioner to tell me all about why they do drink alcohol.

This goes on until one of use gets bored or needs another drink.

Best Wishes

Fradley