Old 05-27-2016, 10:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
MelindaFlowers

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I think it's equally important however, to acknowledge our addiction as a distinct and real problem, regardless of the "cause".
Hey,

This was my first thought when I read your post. This may or may not relate to your situation but here's my two cents.

I had several reasons I thought made me drink as much as I did. After a few years of trying to fix the cause I realized that my drinking wasn't caused by anything other than my addiction to alcohol.

I was the shy person who, initially, found that alcohol cured this and made me funny, relaxed, extroverted, etc. But if social anxiety was my problem then why did I end up drinking alone?

It sounds like you've got a good hold on your situation. Once the alcohol is removed we can work on ourselves. I've heard people say "I figured out why I drank so much. I HATED my career!" First, many people hate their careers but don't numb it with alcohol. Secondly, they find they continue with the alcohol after they find a job they love.

Maybe all that is more related to my experience but maybe someone can relate to some of it.