Thread: I feel angry
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
RedAndy

Can empathise with you Thomas as its something that has bothered me since I stopped in November - good that the group you are travelling with are not big drinkers - we had a similar situation however the group I was travelling with all like a good drink and it's the same place we've been the last 2 years that I just see as party central, all the bar staff remembered me last time not a chance I could return as it just has too many memories and would be too much pressure - the wife and daughter despite being a little upset at first understood when I told them it simply was not possible at this stage for me to go back there and be around it all 24/7 - we made a decision as a family to change plans / cancelled the hotel and now booked into an apartment instead away from any temptation or pressures that the AI booze would provide - if you're feeling strong enough then go for it but if like me you really don't feel you would be in any way comfortable watching everyone else getting on it and under too much pressure then I would suggest talking things over with your wife perhaps - through our counselling sessions it was suggested we put down all the pros and cons and the consequences of what could happen with a relapse - the quiet family holiday with just the 3 of us now sounds and feels like a much better option and we're all looking forward to it instead of worrying about what could happen being around that scene with such easy access.

Its troubled me for months and I tried to convince myself I could do it as I didn't want to let others down with plans we'd made but then realised it was just too much too soon and not necessary and if anyone was upset then so be it (they aren't and understand why / actually were expecting it so the worry on that side was unnecessary too) - all that matters is my continued sobriety right now, they'll probably be a time in the future to do those holidays but you know what I question why I would want to go back to that type of hotel - beautiful places but all I associate AI hotels with is as you said booze morning noon and night (holidays were about booze and nothing else) - that was 2 weeks of heaven whilst a practising alcoholic but as a recovering alcoholic it's more like 2 weeks of hell, just also saying not putting unnecessary temptation in front of you and the pressures that would bring is also an option worth considering - I'm almost certain I wouldn't have drunk but it would have been hellish sat there tormenting myself.