Thread: I feel angry
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
entropy1964

Aw Thomas that is really hard. I don't know if you've tried quitting in the past. If this is one of your first swings at sobriety I think anger is really normal. I can remember definite phases of 'why do I have to be alcoholic?', among a lot of other angry and self pitying thoughts (I think the two emotions often go together).

Resentments toward ourselves and others are killers. And anger, at least for me, usually ends of hurting me...even if its 'justified'. Its normal to get irritated, even angry at the world and people around us. But being alcoholic, I cannot indulge my anger and negative thinking. I have to process it quickly, let things I cannot control (everything but me and my reactions) go because whats the use in being angry with things I cannot change? Simple but not always easy. However, absolutely pivotal in remaining sober, at least for me.

The trip. I am SURE there are tons of things to do on this trip besides drink. I know you know this. When you're ready, take hold of your thinking. Ask the Mrs., or research yourself, all the other 'stuff' you can do. I know, I know. I get the suckiness of this....but I think you can turn your thinking around. Will your wife be drinking or can you enlist her as a sober companion?

You're doing so well. I relate a lot to you and remember your pain just a couple of weeks ago. You got this.