View Single Post
Old 05-24-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
hpdw

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
For me the addictive behavior manifests in my thinking....which of course is, well, everything. I am my thoughts. I post a lot about this because I know my success or failure depends on my thinking.

Soooo for me that means, basically, no self pity. No victim thinking. No black and white, absolute, defeatist thinking. No I'm not good enough thinking. No regret, guilt or shame. No letting the past (either traumas or mistakes) infect the possibilities of today. No fear of tomorrow. Amongst many other things.

When anger, fear, resentment, self pity etc etc come up? I have to deal with it quickly....I can't marinate in these thoughts because they grow and take on a life of their own. I don't have the luxury. Its work, especially at first, because my addictive thinking is my norm. But the more I practice healthy thinking, the more I confront distorted and unhealthy thinking, the stronger I grow.

That's just me. So I can remove the booze and still think like an addict...which lays me open to drinking again. The longer I am dry and work on my thinking, reactions and perceptions, the more I mature basically.
This thread is helping me immensely , I especially love your post here Frick , I read it several times and the way you say this resonates with me so much . I believe I went back out drinking each time after spells of sobriety because of my thinking or wrong thinking to be more precise .

MadGirl , biminiblue ,great stuff too .

I learn so much from all of you on this site from 1 hour sober to 30 years sober .

Ive always wondered why as one of 5 siblings I turned out the one with an anxious desperate insecure personality and used alcohol to excess from an early age . Also guilty of binge eating ,excessive spending ( debt though debt free now almost ) , always hated bosses at work , was a cheeky rebel who never got promoted .come to think of it I never really had any close friends either , I kept people at a distance , I always felt different somehow .

So you see why this thread interests me so much .

Thanks