View Single Post
Old 05-24-2016, 06:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Turtle76

I found that my friendships are changing. I have to limit contact with friends who still party like I used to. Not only does hearing thier stories get me into romanticizing alcohol, but they also tell me that I wasnt "that bad". This is dangerous territory for newly sober me. I still care for my friends, but I just cannot spend too much time with these people anymore. When I do, I make sure its an activity that does not include drinking, or thoughts of drinking. I have one "old" friend I go on walks with our dogs. Or I meet them for breakfast.

This is also one if the issues I was running into that got me to go to AA. I was 2 1/2 months sober when I went to my first meeting. Primarily because I realized I did not know anyone who didn't drink heavily. I had nobody to talk to about the issues I was facing besides my therapist, and I was getting lonely. I needed new friends and examples of how to live sober. I am now meeting women who talk openly and honestly about thier lives. And seeing how people function without alcohol as a social crutch. Its refreshing. I am still on the fence about AA as a whole, but I can say I have met some really remarkable people who truly understand.