View Single Post
Old 05-18-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Persephone3

Have you ever heard of the term "rage-aholic?"

When the going gets tough for you, you turn to the wine. But when things get nasty for your husband, he turns on you. The rush and release he gets from raging on you is his Drug Of Choice. Don't believe that you are the "messed up" one. Don't believe that just because he doesn't drink he's not a total junkie. He is.

First, I believe you do need to get sober, at least for now. Maybe not forever... but for now until your marriage problems are ameliorated, you need a clear head.

Second, I believe you should leave if you are getting verbally abused and physically harmed, if even by "accident." Your husband is dangerous to you. And, by the way, physically restraining you from leaving the house freely IS physical abuse.

But, if you can't leave right now-- which I understand completely--you need to cut him off from his supply, which is his ability to rage at and control you.

So what do you do? The first thing you need to understand is his rage is his crack; it's the same as a drunken bender. Ignore his rants, let him scream, let him stomp around. Don't feed his addiction by responding to his attacks. They are his illness. Just walk away and go into a different room, or better yet, leave the house and get your hair and nails done. Oh, he doesn't like that you got your hair and nails done? Let him scream it out. Quack, quack, quack.

And allthewhile, plan your exit. Do you have a support system? You may want to check out al-anon so you can learn how to not enable his rage. As they say in Al-Anon, you didn't Cause it, you can't Cure it and you can't Control it. So just step aside and observe his rage like a bad storm until he rages himself into a puddle on the floor. Do not engage. You might also check out AA for yourself.

Anyway, I think you should get out. Your husband sounds like a major drag.