View Single Post
Old 05-18-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
alcoholics wife

Originally Posted by here4theflowers View Post
Like you, issues related to a relationship have triggered what's recently become my downward spiral into heavier and heavier drinking. I CAN go days without drinking, but more often than not, I CHOOSE to drink (and sometimes even really crave it!) and I drink to excess (also wine). I have left my relationship of many years and got out alive with my children, thankfully. There were those who thought I'd never get out alive and I spent a lot of time trying to leave. The stress from the past, some on-going stalking issues and guilt over dropping out of my master's program while almost finished writing my thesis lead me to drink. Today is my Day 1. I do not want to keep in this cycle and have it worsen. Leaving is very hard, but I am sure you can find the strength to do so. It's really hard especially if you don't have a strong family or friend network of support, Pressing charges and sticking with them is incredibly hard but so well-worth it. Please update us on how things are going, people do care. ***edited to add, I just realized how cathartic writing out the above is. I am very embarrassed about dropping my master's program, it hit at a time I was dealing with renewing a protective order and intense stalking was going on, I was out of my mind, after thinking I had finally found a safe place. I have to face this guilt and the steps to correct it, in order to keep my drinking under wraps. I am so afraid of permanently failing and never finishing, on top of the embarrassment and the relationship trauma, it keeps driving me back.
Good for you that you managed to have the strength to get out of a nightmare of a relationship. This in itself is very brave. Embarrassment is a big thing to try to cope with. I remember fearing embarrassment when I was contemplating leaving my AXbf. It took lots of time mainly due to the embarrassment and shame of not being able to maintain an image of a 'great relationship'. Our relationship was far from being 'great' but I never talked to anyone about our issues. It felt like a big relief when I left him for good and then I realized that all the feelings of fear of embarrassment is just in my head. We seem to always be our worst critiques.