Thread: 5 months sober
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
James90

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
You can make it through.

My last real period of romanticizing drinking was at six months of sobriety. It seems common in recovery to have stronger periods of desire return around significant milestones, and six months is a big one.

Stay the course. Nothing good would come of a day on the patio with a beer or a cocktail. (Or 15 cocktails, because, really.)

The romance of summertime can bring this on - but play the tape through all the way through the drinking, the hangover, the remorse, the illness, the fear that you could really damage yourself, the possibility of arrest or accident.

Onward. Have some iced tea and wings on the patio. You'll never wake up wishing you had had that pint and a shot, I promise.
I agree with the summer romance point you said. During the winter months I didn't notice it so much as I was still fairly ill and not really connected with the outside world as such. But now i'm out and about more than I was, my brain/ body seems to no it's summer again and that means drinking all hours God sends. I think really for the first time in 5 months I've had to understand that isn't going to happen anymore, as much as I want it to.