Thread: kombucha
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2016, 04:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

Originally Posted by greens View Post
What are your guys thoughts on kombucha for people in recovery? I am just curious, I know recovered folks who drink it no problem, those who avoid it just in case, and those who have one sip and feel tipsy.
I have kombucha from time to time. Commercial kombucha is regulated and has only trace alcohol. It's a fermented beverage, and has probiotic benefits and tastes good and is a healthy non-alcoholic beverage alternative to sodas.

That said, homemade kombucha can be dangerous territory. I made a batch one time and it wound up basically kombucha wine. One taste and I knew it was bad news. I gave it away to a friend.

For many in recovery, kombucha can be a 'playing with fire' kind of thing. I haven't found it to be problematic or lead to cravings, but now and then even a commercial kombucha has left me feeling a little dry-mouthed and 'odd in the head'.... so I don't drink it too frequently. I don't like that feeling. I don't want to feel the effects of alcohol in my life anymore. And, I have heard stories of people in recovery who have had kombucha and it set them off on a binge and relapse cycle.

So.... proceed with caution. If at all.