Thread: 22 years old
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
TorchedGrave

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I like drinking, but its not my reality, I have to deal with life on life's terms. If that makes any sense.
Not sure how this is related to the other stuff (if it was supposed to be), but I never understood the phrase "on life's terms." It just doesn't make much sense. Life doesn't have terms. People do. Are there things we can't control, certainly. But there are things that we can. And, to the extent that we can, we should try to. So if by "live life on life's terms" you mean just that, then I get it. I would like to be a "normal drinker," but I can't. So is that living life on life's terms? Maybe -- I just don't like how it's phrased.

Getting back to your point, I have thought about going to school, but that wouldn't really make much sense for me. Why? Well I can either go to grad school, presumably continuing with my undergrad discipline, or get another undergrad degree in something unrelated, perhaps more technical and more likely to lead to an "engaging career." The problem with the former option is that the only reason to go to grad school in my discipline is to teach (or become a professor), which is not something that I have an interest in. The problem with the latter option is twofold: first, it'll kind of make the preceding four years of undergrad essentially pointless, and, second, because I'll essentially be starting over again. That's as far as school is concerned. I'm not despondent, however. I know that going back to school is neither necessary nor sufficient for finding engaging work.