View Single Post
Old 05-08-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
ilovedogs666

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
By definition, self-discipline and self-control mean stopping ourselves from doing something that's natural for us to do or that we dearly want to do, and that is also not in our better interests to do it. Alternatively, self-discipline requires that we do something that we would prefer not to do, even though doing it would be in our better interests. It's often experienced as another version of self-sacrifice. This is why -- although it's often necessary in early sobriety -- willpower generally does not work in the long-term. It wouldn't have worked for me. People who are able to remain abstinent by maintaining self-discipline alone over time invite continuous and mounting resentments. The word 'resolve' is often used to describe willpower, but if resolve were enough to stay sober and live a better life, we wouldn't be here. Willpower during a moment of weakness can also be a valuable tool but, again, was not for me a reliable strategy -- and certainly not a plan -- to remain sober. I've long maintained that our greatest gift and the source of our greatest fears is independence. This was true for me. The power to choose. The power to be who we are, without reservation. The only way to overcome this, or at least manage it, was to work through my fears. Thinking alone gets me nowhere. Although in many ways the world gives us what we need, it can never give us what we want. Life is simply much too short to settle for less than is available to us. We only ever come to know this by getting and staying sober.
If willpower is not enough to stay sober in the long term, what is required for us to stay sober? I also heard that simply remembering how bad it was will not be sufficient to keep us sober. I think the main thing would be to create a life for ourselves where we are relatively happy and peaceful, a life where we will not want to escape our feelings.. Would you agree?

I find that when I have any thoughts about drinking these days, its not because I want to actually drink alcohol, its that I do not want to feel the way I am feeling, I cannot tolerate my feelings and emotions, I just want to escape this feeling... And the best way I know how to achieve that is by drinking. I think being aware of this is very helpful and I can dismiss these thoughts and stay sober.