View Single Post
Old 05-07-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
thomas11

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Do something different. It may not be too late to get to an AA meeting, and there will certainly be meetings tomorrow. And the next day. Like you and many others, I had all kinds of preconceptions about going to AA when I first got sober. My first thought was, "I can't believe I'm going to AA!" I was afraid that they might teach you how to control your drinking. It was the last thing I wanted. I was also terrified that I might see someone I know. An AA friend of mine at the time said, "If you do, they're there for the same reason you are."

I did meet meet people I knew. I was working as a bartender at a local place, so it was bound to happen. I told the first guy I knew there (a co-worker) that I came "for the gift shop." My first meeting lifted my spirits and left me looking forward to my next meeting. As for the people I knew...I came to learn that I wasn't an important enough person (beyond my own self-assessment) for other people to break my anonymity.

NYC can be a very small town. I met several public figures, among them celebrities, at some of the meetings I attended, including James Taylor, who is open about his recovery and his participation in AA.

The worst thing that could happen if you were to go is that you won't feel as down as you currently seem to feel.
Endgame, I did not always understand your angle, but as time has gone by, I "get it". And I appreciate your input. That being said, I'm from the Midwest. You are in New York, and while I could be wrong, things are much more direct. With that being said, just because you are direct doesn't make it wrong. But for us, it takes some getting used to.