Thread: "Today's Hope"
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Kboys

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
This is posted from the "Today's Hope" site of Alanon.

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Remembering that I can only live one day at a time removes the burdens of the past, keeps my attention on the present, and keeps me from fearing the future
- Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
Humility

Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.
- Serbian proverb

Most of my life, I have engaged in black-and-white thinking and saw the world in absolutes. This included my behavior. If I was “right” about something, I would be extremely proud and quite egotistical. If I was ever shown to be “wrong,” I would be ashamed and completely deferential. There was no middle ground. I based my entire self-worth on how “correct” I was in any given moment.

Since no one could be “right” all of the time, my peace of mind suffered greatly because this was how I chose to value myself. I was exhausted, and perpetually worried about what the next moment would bring. Through recovery, I was able to realize that simply the fact that I exist means I have a right to be, just like everyone else. I do not need to prove my right to exist. I do not need to be right to be respected. Nor do I need to be egotistical any more than I need to be ashamed of myself.

I now love and value myself always, regardless of whether I am right or wrong. And I extend this acceptance to all of those around me. Today, I see that most of the world is a middle ground. I am humble without feeling humiliated There isn’t just black and white everywhere for me. My world is now filled with colors!

Daily share from the forum can be found here: Today's Sharing - Today's Hope

I came back to this one today, because I was feeling quite irritated, and kind of mad, but not completely sure why.
I was recently asked for some advice by a family member. She asked me because it *kind of* is in my professional field, but not really.
I told her that I really didn't have direct professional experience with that type of situation, but gave her a little info , and my 2 cents anyway, for what it was worth.
Well this morning I heard from her, and she told me she had spoken with someone who gave her some information, and she told me that "there must be more to the story" regarding the info I gave her. Well I *do* know, that there is *not* more to the story, and the information she was given, is not entirely true.
But I just said okay.... then as I hung up the phone I started to get really irritated.
But why did it bother me so much, after all, I did tell her that I was not completely sure about what I was telling her (although I did look up on line after, and I *am* right...) so she was smart to ask others as well.

I think I am maybe irritated with myself for not for not showing more confidence when I answered her initially, so that she wouldn't have had to ask others. Because truly, though it is not my area of expertise, I know enough to have given her information in a way that portrayed confidence, but I didn't.

Letting it go now...

Thanks