View Single Post
Old 05-02-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jseattle

Frustrations with rehab

I am done drinking. I have known for a while I needed to stop (solitary drinking into the night), finally picked up the phone, found a place, told them everything, told my husband everything (he had no clue - my AV is very devious). I am done. That was 2 weeks ago. I didn't need to detox though I did have cravings.

I have been in what they call "partial" (outpatient, 5 hours a day, 5 days a week, regular urine tests, etc.). Some of it has been great. They have some therapists who are very practical, good listeners, and good at providing tools to help recovery.

I understand that addiction counselors are used to people lying to them and to themselves. But, aargh. I am not a child. My "main" therapist treats me like I am 12. I have worked with the psychiatrist on what meds are and are not okay for me. The therapist questions me every time about those meds in my drug tests. He asks me the same questions every time, not remembering that I already answered them. On top of that, they made us all watch a hideous cult movie called "The Secret" which I found offensive in the extreme (and potentially damaging to addicts).

They claim at intake that they are open to and flexible in recovery approaches but some of them are so AA-fixated and I swear penalize you if you disagree with anything. One person - super smart, self aware - is not going to AA meetings because she finds 25 hours a week of this enough. She is being kept in full time while others graduate. Like a petulant child.

I will be back tomorrow, but I'm beginning to question whether this was the right route for me. Enough is pissing me off that it is causing me to resist the good parts.

Do I suck it up, or do I pull aside the director and complain, or do I move on? And by move on, I mean, find other methods of sober support. I'm done drinking.