Thread: Help
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2005, 03:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
findingout
Not the center of the Universe

Hey ironhorse, welcome.

The good news is you realize that you have a problem and you can do something about it. The bad news is that it will get worse if you don't do something about it.

The ultimate answer is simple - stop drinking. However, as many, many people on SR will confirm, simple does not equal easy. More good news: you don't have to do this by yourself. There are a whole heap of people here and in the real world that will help you and actually want to help you if you will let them. A.A. works for some people (myself included), SMART recovery works for some people, and there are other options too, but you have to actually try them. And, in my opinion, going to one meeting or reading about these programs on the internet, does not count as trying. Don't let your initial impressions scare you away from trying. In my experience, my initial impressions when it comes to doing what I need to do to stay sober are almost always wrong. Alcoholism is powerful and one of its tricks is to convince you that nothing will work, that you can't stop, and that you are better off just drinking. Another one of its tricks is to let you get sober for a number of days and convince yourself that you didn't really have a problem after all.

Don't believe it for a minute.

One Love, One Heart,
Tony