Notices

Help

Old 07-25-2005, 12:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help

Hi im a new member,well obviously i have a drinking problem!I dont want it anymore
Old 07-25-2005, 12:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey welcome,
Admitting you have a problem plus wanting to change it is good. However no one can snap there fingers and make it go away. Is there any AA meeting around your city that you can partake in?
Old 07-25-2005, 03:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Hey ironhorse, welcome.

The good news is you realize that you have a problem and you can do something about it. The bad news is that it will get worse if you don't do something about it.

The ultimate answer is simple - stop drinking. However, as many, many people on SR will confirm, simple does not equal easy. More good news: you don't have to do this by yourself. There are a whole heap of people here and in the real world that will help you and actually want to help you if you will let them. A.A. works for some people (myself included), SMART recovery works for some people, and there are other options too, but you have to actually try them. And, in my opinion, going to one meeting or reading about these programs on the internet, does not count as trying. Don't let your initial impressions scare you away from trying. In my experience, my initial impressions when it comes to doing what I need to do to stay sober are almost always wrong. Alcoholism is powerful and one of its tricks is to convince you that nothing will work, that you can't stop, and that you are better off just drinking. Another one of its tricks is to let you get sober for a number of days and convince yourself that you didn't really have a problem after all.

Don't believe it for a minute.

One Love, One Heart,
Tony
Old 07-25-2005, 07:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and

Welcome to SR!

Please let us know how we can help you. Could you share about your drinking problem? Have you tried to quit before? Talked to a doctor or been in treatment?

We have all sorts of members here and we will share our solutions to finding sobriety.

Most likely some will work for you some will not.

Keep posting..glad to see you here!
Old 07-25-2005, 10:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hiya Ironhorse... Sounds like you're sick and tired of being sick and tired.... happens to the best of us that's why we're here. Get a plan and stick to it, get a date and stick to it and get support from your doc, AA meetings or other meetings and all of us here!
Old 07-25-2005, 09:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Braveheart

Hi Ironhouse.. I've only been here for two days and these people are wonder support. I will attend my first meeting tomorrow night. A little afraid, but SR is already helping me to understand that I must acknowledge my addiction freely if I want to change it. I have just started my journey but there are some smart cookies here at SR. Just keep coming back, take a look around the site, read some threads, and post. SR will encourage you! BTW, Welcome.

Gina
Old 07-26-2005, 09:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Ironhorse,

Congratulations!! Admitting you have a problem and reaching out for help are the MOST important steps you can make. !!

Please get some support for helping you with Sobriety. You will receive good support here; but find AA or another recovery vehicle.