Thread: Sick and tired
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2016, 09:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Berrybean

The change will come when you stop messing around with tricks and declaring you NEED to stop, and say (and mean it in yourself) I am not going to drink again. One day at a time I will not take a drink. Not for any reason. Not if the dog dies, there's an earthquake, it's the Queens birthday, you win the lottery, toast a wedding, get dumped, get cancer, argue with a friend, sit on a sunny beach, cosy up by a log fire, are infuriated by your relatives, stressed by your job.... ad infinitum. Because, the problem is a case of mental mislabelling. In our heads it's too easy to keep alcohol labelled as a Cure All. The Solution. And in fact, it never solves anything. It isn't even the whole problem truth be told. That's in our heads as well. Our heads are glitches up with ISMs.

There is a great thread (by Dee) about making a plan. I suggest that you read that through and start today. Honestly, the people who dither about for next week, after my birthday, next month, once I've retired, when I feel better, etc... Guess what. Those folk are still drinking. There's always another excuse if that's what we want. But why bother. It's only ourselves we are deceiving.

It won't be easy, but it'll be so worth it that it's almost fantastic.

Wishing you well in your journey to sobriety and recovery.

PS And recovery is not the same thing as sobriety. But they are equally important. Without recovery, sobriety will remain quite a painful place. On here there are thousands of people and loads of recovery methods. Ask away and people will happily help you out.