View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Originally Posted by TheFuddsofElmer View Post
That is an adorable puppy you have there lol. I want to go to AA but I have serious social anxiety. Stupid question, but do you think they would accept me on the first night? I'm worried about being an outsider.
They would be more than welcoming. If you're worried, contacted most nations have a helpline (I contacted online for reassurance before I made it to my first meeting). Everyone in any meeting will remember that their first meeting, and know how anxiety making it can be. I have never, ever felt as welcome anywhere else I've been. There is no need to speak in front on anyone at any meetings, although there is always an opportunity to offer your first name as a newcomer or visitor from another area so that people can welcome you and get to know you.

There have been plenty of young people who have accessed AA. I believe that one of the speakers I listened to on a recording (Debbie someone I think) went to there initially as a teenager of about 16. That was a long time ago, and I can't believe there haven't been more since then.

I wish you lots of luck in getting to your first meeting and making the most of the support available there for you. I sure wish I'd got my drinking sorted out at that age.