Old 04-16-2016, 02:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
IvanMike
NA Member - Atheist

HALT is an old acronym for Hungry Angry Lonely Tired. Occasionally one hears "Halts" with the S standing for Sick. - The idea is that we tend to become emotionally vulnerable and "not in our right mind" when we are stressed in these ways. Not making any decisions of consequence when in these states is always a good call.

Guilt isn't really a motivating factor to stop. If it was, we would all stop. Taking an honest look at how we affect those around us (positively and negatively) is a part of recovery, ethics, and maturity. We don't get there overnight. I wasn't able to see past the end of my own nose for a long time.

I don't think my addiction, my self destructive impulses, and my warped thinking are my fault either. At one point I was much more interested in why I was the way I was. Now I am concerned with what to do about it and how to live today. The NA basic text says "we are not responsible for our addiction, but we are responsible for our recovery". It's the actions that I take today that matter.