Old 04-10-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
TexasWoman123

Originally Posted by picturebigger View Post
and be honest. i'm not cancelling, no matter how awful it is...

tmrw evening is day 1 of 90 day intensive outpatient. group meetings 3 nights a week (for THREE hours) + daily AA meetings.

i've been to AA, it was cool, i enjoyed being surrounded by other survivors.. but to me it was more like visiting a VA lodge.. everyone took turns talking about how great they feel after 30 days, 90 days, 6 months, 6 years, etc. certainly all their stories were worthy of standing ovations, but none helped me get through week 1 or 2 of detox any easier.

so i've also enrolled in 90 day outpatient now. i'm actually looking quite forward to it (tomorrow when I go sober I'll be singing a different tune)... it's like a commitment to someone outside of myself (useless) or family (always forgiving - just create a new contract when i fail).

but i do plan to keep my commitment and meet this 90 day goal. but what can i expect in these "group therapy" meetings? my addicted mind is already trying to convince me it's just taking turns "talking about our feelings" and other useless nonsense that won't help, but i'm ignoring those thoughts and truly approaching this seriously. and truly think i can hold my end of the bargain. it's my last resort before committing myself to inpatient.

anyone find intensive outpatient exactly what the doctor ordered? or was it - as my alcoholic mind is portraying - a waste of time that only made you really need a drink after the session?

thanks in advance.
I do not feel I would be sober today without the intensive outpatient program I attended when I first got sober. I learned so much and I never wanted to drink after one of the sessions. The group therapy was excellent. I also went to AA, got a sponsor and started working the steps.

Feel free to ask any specific questions. I think you get out of it what you put into it. I was ready to be sober. I'm working on myself and staying sober one day at a time, 137 days sober today. I did the IOP for 22 sessions. I felt ready when I was discharged. I still have bad days, but I am learning that that's just life!

TW