Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

intensive outpatient "rehab" - good? or bored out of your mind?

Notices

Old 04-10-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

and be honest. i'm not cancelling, no matter how awful it is...

tmrw evening is day 1 of 90 day intensive outpatient. group meetings 3 nights a week (for THREE hours) + daily AA meetings.

i've been to AA, it was cool, i enjoyed being surrounded by other survivors.. but to me it was more like visiting a VA lodge.. everyone took turns talking about how great they feel after 30 days, 90 days, 6 months, 6 years, etc. certainly all their stories were worthy of standing ovations, but none helped me get through week 1 or 2 of detox any easier.

so i've also enrolled in 90 day outpatient now. i'm actually looking quite forward to it (tomorrow when I go sober I'll be singing a different tune)... it's like a commitment to someone outside of myself (useless) or family (always forgiving - just create a new contract when i fail).

but i do plan to keep my commitment and meet this 90 day goal. but what can i expect in these "group therapy" meetings? my addicted mind is already trying to convince me it's just taking turns "talking about our feelings" and other useless nonsense that won't help, but i'm ignoring those thoughts and truly approaching this seriously. and truly think i can hold my end of the bargain. it's my last resort before committing myself to inpatient.

anyone find intensive outpatient exactly what the doctor ordered? or was it - as my alcoholic mind is portraying - a waste of time that only made you really need a drink after the session?

thanks in advance.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, I went to inpatient first after about 50 days of sobriety because I could not handle PAWS symptoms. That was a good experience because I got stablized and meet some wonderful women. Inpatient is much like being in class ALL day long. But I enjoyed it!

I am in IOP now and it's good too! For the first hour and a half we check in and if a group member has an issue we process through that as well. The second hour and a half is usually educational. Sometimes we even do art therapy during the second half. Either way, I am glad to participate, I generally feel much better when I leave. Plus our counselor is really good and has about 40 years of sobriety.

Give it try! You might like it.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by picturebigger View Post
and be honest. i'm not cancelling, no matter how awful it is...

tmrw evening is day 1 of 90 day intensive outpatient. group meetings 3 nights a week (for THREE hours) + daily AA meetings.

i've been to AA, it was cool, i enjoyed being surrounded by other survivors.. but to me it was more like visiting a VA lodge.. everyone took turns talking about how great they feel after 30 days, 90 days, 6 months, 6 years, etc. certainly all their stories were worthy of standing ovations, but none helped me get through week 1 or 2 of detox any easier.

so i've also enrolled in 90 day outpatient now. i'm actually looking quite forward to it (tomorrow when I go sober I'll be singing a different tune)... it's like a commitment to someone outside of myself (useless) or family (always forgiving - just create a new contract when i fail).

but i do plan to keep my commitment and meet this 90 day goal. but what can i expect in these "group therapy" meetings? my addicted mind is already trying to convince me it's just taking turns "talking about our feelings" and other useless nonsense that won't help, but i'm ignoring those thoughts and truly approaching this seriously. and truly think i can hold my end of the bargain. it's my last resort before committing myself to inpatient.

anyone find intensive outpatient exactly what the doctor ordered? or was it - as my alcoholic mind is portraying - a waste of time that only made you really need a drink after the session?

thanks in advance.
I do not feel I would be sober today without the intensive outpatient program I attended when I first got sober. I learned so much and I never wanted to drink after one of the sessions. The group therapy was excellent. I also went to AA, got a sponsor and started working the steps.

Feel free to ask any specific questions. I think you get out of it what you put into it. I was ready to be sober. I'm working on myself and staying sober one day at a time, 137 days sober today. I did the IOP for 22 sessions. I felt ready when I was discharged. I still have bad days, but I am learning that that's just life!

TW
Old 04-10-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

Picturebigger, I'm starting this week, too, so you won't be alone!
Old 04-10-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience to share picturebigger but I reckon whatever new things you seek out for your recovery is never time wasted

D
Old 04-10-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

just take an open mind and a DESIRE to STAY sober for good.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

IOP got me sober. AA kept me sober. Going to AA meetings is a portion of AA. Working the steps with a sponsor will keep you sober and working the steps is guaranteed not be to be boring.

Your thinking got you to were you are so it may be time to consider other ideas
Old 04-10-2016, 08:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I went to inpatient rehab for 7 weeks and I've stayed sober since. I almost did an outpatient program, much like yours, but I could see myself stopping at the Winn Dixie for a bottle of chardonnay on the way home, lol! (Plus there was child custody involved so I wanted to impress upon the judge I was serious about my sobriety). I think it's all what you make it. It's nice to be around other people who understand what you're going through. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 04-10-2016, 08:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I went. After the first couple sessions, I actually looked forward to it. Although friends and family were good with me dealing with things, no-one knew what this (sober life) would look like for me. Got alot of strategies.

Like someone said above, participate vigorously and ask questions. It is on your dime, after all.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

I done group therapy & I think it helped a lot

Both my sister's completed 6 month rehabs & it has given my sister's lives back

Think your making some great decisions for your sobriety
Old 04-11-2016, 12:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am currently finishing up my stay at an inpatient centre. I don't have any experience with outpatient. I can say that I have benefitted from the daily meetings here though. Truth be told there are days or moments where they slip off into the "boring" category but for the most part they are interesting and informative. Just keep at it, even if each meeting isn't mind-glowingly awesome I don't think it is ever time wasted.