View Single Post
Old 04-10-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
SolidKarma

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post

I would suggest that once you've got to know people in your meetings and know some people who have 'what you want' (in terms of their sobriety, not their cool boots or funky car lol) then you will be in a position to ask one of those people to sponsor you through the steps.
Thank you so much Beccy, tha post really meant a lot.

I actually got a sponsor very quickly, and have been working the steps. Last week I worked step 5, and now am on step 8. However yesterday some unfortunate events happened between my sponson and myself, and I am a little unsure of how to proceed. I'm thinking about starting a seperate thread to gain some advice from long time AA people.

Originally Posted by ItsViolet View Post
Welcome to the community Karma I'm very sorry about your father. Have you got any grief counseling? There is a grief forum here on SR too.

I find that the more I educate myself about alcoholism and recall the misery and hardships of other alcoholics/addicts in my family, the less I want to find out what my ROCK BOTTOM looks like. The rock bottom that got me here was enough, ROCK BOTTOM isn't necessary. I can see where I'm headed if I continue to drink, and that's all I need to know to understand why I need to recover now.
Thanks Violet, your condolence means a lot. I have had grief counseling with my weekly therapist. He did a lot to help me in the initial stages. I believe things on that end are going well, but i'm not closed off to the idea of seeking further counseling in the future.

Thanks for the suggestions.

After my posts regarding rock bottom, i've totally changed my outlook. I now realize my rock bottom was good enough. I've read so many posts of people relapse, rock bottoms, that I know I could get worse if I wanted. But like they say in the BB, why would I go down such a road if I saw it coming?

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
Hi sk
There are reams and reams of us who've hit terrible rock bottoms.

Rock bottom. I think contemplating it is kind of like keeping the door open a crack and peeking at the beast.

I've hit so many rock bottoms- and nearly died because of it more than once- and kept right on going back to drinking.

I've come to realize I'm not a cat with 9 lives. I've had enough rock bottom experiences and lived to tell the tale, I'd really rather be done with the whole Russian roulette game. If I keep it up, the bullet is going to find me sooner rather than later.

32 years of sober and drunk unhappiness. There has got to be a better way right?
Thanks Dee, these are my conclusions regarding rock bottom. I'm very grateful to have the support of SR, with all the wisdom and knowledge.