View Single Post
Old 04-10-2016, 04:14 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Glad you made it to AA and to this place. I've been sobriety just over 2 years. I'm also an AAer and firmly believe that everyone's bottom is difference. It's just where we happen to be when we acknowledge that alcohol is what takes us deeper down the hold, and decide to stop digging. For years alcohol was labelled lots of things. Solution. Relief. Respite. Fun. Reward. One day I realised that I was kidding myself about cutting down, as that never worked, and that with it in my life nothing could ever change. I could never change. I started to recognise my own dependence for what it was. And to recognise alcohol as the poison it was to me. My step work has been an opportunity to explore and grow, and you know what, there is NO WAY I'd give up the peace that I have found to go back to where I was.

I would suggest that once you've got to know people in your meetings and know some people who have 'what you want' (in terms of their sobriety, not their cool boots or funky car lol) then you will be in a position to ask one of those people to sponsor you through the steps. The steps can give you the serenity that you need so that you will not want to take a drink, and certainly won't need it as a sleep aid.)

Wishing you all the best in your journey, through sobriety, to recovery, peace, joy and serenity.