Old 03-28-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SoberinSyracuse
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Originally Posted by Aellyce View Post
Hi, congrats on your progress. From your post comparing your treatment and recovery with others', one thing that strikes me is that most of us definitely need much longer "treatment" and more varied tools for sustained recovery...
But let's not forget how long I flailed in my alcoholism, how many failed attempts I made at sobriety. Trust me, I've got a longer track record than I'd like to admit. True, I finally hit upon what worked, but I spent years trying first one thing and then another. Various groups and recovery models. At least four different counselors. Self-hypnosis. New-age healing. Charismatic prayer. Acupuncture. Assorted herbal remedies. Moderation management. At least three different gurus.

It's been a long and painful journey, but thankfully, the end did finally come. The gratitude I feel, and the relief, is beyond my ability to put into words.

I really think the key is to keep trying and never give up. Freedom exists, and it is very sweet, and it's worth every tear shed along the way.