View Single Post
Old 02-13-2003, 04:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
peacefulgirl
Paused

If I were your daughter/sister/friend...

Hello Everyone - I'm new here and have found this board to be very helpful and informative. This is my situation: I have been dating a man for 8 months now. He has two teenage children - both kids are alcoholics, both have attempted suicide. Son (20 y/o) no longer drinks, but does continue to smoke pot. Daughter (18 y/o) is fresh out of rehab, going to AA meetings, taking anti-depressants, etc. Her general outlook is pretty good at this time - but she has a very long road ahead of her. I am very supportive of my boyfriend and his children as well. My big question is...for those of you who have had children who have been alcoholics...what has your life been like over the years??? Is it one that has been happy and peaceful, or one that has been filled with worry, anger, disappointment and fear. This gentleman and I have been talking about marriage - and I have no idea what to expect in the future with regards to his children. I know that no future is ever certain - but something keeps telling me that I really need to take a serious look at all of this. I have three children of my own and want to make sure that I make an intelligent and informed decision about our future.

So...if I was your daughter/sister/friend....what honest, helpful advice would you give me??

Thank you so much and God bless all of you.