Old 03-20-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Obladi
Life Goes On

Hi Jase,

So glad you came here and actually posted! I don't have Asperger's but I certainly have suffered from loneliness, social and general anxiety and the wreck of a marriage that boredom and drinking create.

I too, spent hours on end stuck in boredom, playing video games + watching movies + drinking day and night. The alcohol is what kept me there. When people would suggest to me other things I could do instead, my mental response would be just like a juvenile - "but I don't waaaant to."

I would suggest that the first thing you should do is visit your physician and let them know that you have a desire to stop drinking and have them help you make a medical plan. There are medications that can make withdrawing from alcohol much more tolerable, not to mention safe. If they can/will also refer you to someone who specializes in addiction that can supplement your medical care - even better.

Once you've stopped drinking, the other things will come along through you making a plan for yourself and actually following it. Just like the wise people said before me.

Just make the second step.
You've already made the first by realizing some thing is amiss and reaching out for help! I'm really just so proud that you did even this much that it's ridiculous - I have a nephew who has some condition along the spectrum and I don't know why, but I feel like I'm celebrating for someone I know and love.

Maybe I'm just celebrating for both of us wanting to make a change and reaching out for help. It is so hard for me, I can't begin to tell you. But here we are!