View Single Post
Old 03-18-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
teatreeoil007

I am glad you did not drink last night good job. You've proven something to yourself there-that you can still go out and do fun things and not have to drink to enjoy it. That's a huge realization for a lot of us.

Now: If you could do something about the obsessive thoughts I think you'd feel a lot better. You are at liberty in one sense in not actually drinking, but it sounds like you are still in bondage to your thoughts. If it were me, I wouldn't beat myself up about that, but just continue to be aware of it, work on it. I pray about it as I tend to be an "obsesser" too. It's like once something TAKES ROOT in my mind I have a hard time letting it go. That is a good trait when you need to accomplish something that requires INTENSITY, I suppose. But, I feel like in sobriety I am needing to CHANGE my THINKING as much if not more than anything else I do.

I don't think I would have gone to the game like you did as that was likely a huge trigger. But, I guess the object is not to avoid all triggers in life from here on out, but be very aware of the triggers and have a great plan of what to do when they pop up. For example, STRESS is a huge trigger for me, Realistically, I cannot avoid stress altogether, but I can try to cut it down and cope with it better. In some cases, if I can see something optional is just going to stress me out too much, I opt to skip it when possible. So, in looking at stress in my life, I've needed to look at my own choices and actions that have created MORE stress.