View Single Post
Old 03-18-2016, 01:39 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Meraviglioso

Morning all, another early morning drip for me, followed by the meds. But good news, I got my plain yogurt this morning. I was amazed. I had just mentioned it to the doctors yesterday and they kind of said "ok, no problem" but didn't write anything down and just left for their next visit. I was sure they would forget about it. But sure enough this morning I asked the breakfast staff about the yogurt and she said, "oh, yes, the doctors called and said to give you yogurt"
I get the feeling that nobody here lets you down ever. My favourite nurse, Igor, came to give me my IV this morning. He is the most careful and gentle, always finds a towel to put under my arm to make sure I can rest comfortably and go back to sleep without bending my arm.
I've had a couple of moments of really bad frustration and cried a bit. I still feel some really strong cravings for alcohol. I think to myself "god I want a glass of wine so bad I could just scream" But the others here are helping. If they see me angry or crying they remind me it has only been 3 days and it takes time. They assured me they felt the same and that with the group therapy and private meetings with the psychologists I will learn to deal with it better. I hope so.
The place here has a mix of people. There are anorexics which are kept in a completely separate part and we never see them. There are some fighting obesity and overeating and they are in the lunch room with us, but otherwise not out and about. The people here for DBT for depression, borderline personality disorder, etc are out and about with us, the alcoholics. There is also a nursing home type area for older people with dementia and Alzheimer's. There is an old lady who saw me passing her room and said hi. She heard my accent and asked if I was American. I told her I was and she said that she used to speak English and then spoke to me in English some. Yesterday one of the other alcoholic girls came knocking on my door and said the lady was looking for me. She said "don't worry, I can tell her I can't find you if you don't want to go" But I felt like a little bit of duty and giving back will make me feel good. I'm not so much in the mood right now with all the meds, but I did stop by her room and chatted for about 10 minutes. She was very confusing in Italian but then when she spoke in English it came out quite well. Very interesting, I am sure there is something scientific about that. Obviously not fluently, but coherent train of thought, etc. She was happy for the visit. I wish I could have stayed longer but I just wasn't feeling so clear headed myself. Once they start lightening my meds I might try to go see her once a day. Off now for a crappy coffee from the machine (they don't serve us coffee at meals, but you can buy it from the machine- a far cry from the typical Italian cappuccino!) a little sun with my new friends and then we all have to be in our rooms at 10 for the medical visit. Have a great day friends.